You will want to make sure you get a social insurance number for your child if you ever plan on opening a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) or want to receive any child benefits or services from the government. So don't miss out.

Having a Social Insurance Number is a basic requirement for opening any financial account for your child.  Whether it is for an In Trust For (ITF) savings account or an RESP, you need it. Sometimes, I have seen where people prefer to give money towards the child's future college education in lieu of material things as a baby shower gift. I know that was the case for us and our children. After all, who doesn't want to start saving for your child's future education? The government also matches up to 20% of contributions per year up to a total of $500.00 per year. This is called the Continuing Education Services Grant. This money ads up over 18 years.

To access any of the child benefits or services programs through government programs, they are all linked through the child's and parent's Social Insurance Numbers. 

Before you apply for a Social Insurance Number, make sure you have the following documentation:

  • Child's birth certificate (original)
  • Your birth certificate (original)
  • You Social Insurance Number

How do I apply for a Social Insurance Number?

  1.  Go directly to a Service Canada Office. This is the quickest way. If you have all required documentation you will get a Social Insurance Number while you are there. Then you don't have to send your original certificates away. You can find your nearest Service Canada Office here.
  2. Send in the mail. If you are over 100 kms away from the nearest Service Canada Office you are allowed to mail in an application form with all your original documents. Just make sure it is all done correct to prevent any further delays. The current address is Service Canada, Social Insurance Registration Office, PO Box 7000, Bathurst, NB, E2A 4T1. This process does take approximately 20 business days, providing that there are no postal delays or strikes. For full application directions and other FAQ's click here.

New call-to-action